Insight provide you the facility to manage you customer database centrally. The integrated customer database is at the heart of your system to help you manage contracts, quotations, jobs and invoices.
Depending on your system configuration you will have a different way to access the customer database but the most common method is via the Database tab.
The Customer database screen is shown below. Multiple tab are used to categorise and organise all the available information. In the example below the Details tab selected.
1. Details Tab
1.1. Search Area
Use this to find client by any part of the name, any part of the address, a contacts name or by sector and sub-sector. The search results are also filtered by the Status Drop down.
1.2. Basic Information
Name, Address and other basic information about the client is available here.
Some key fields to note are
- ID. This is automatically generated by the system and uniquely identifies this customer
- Alt Ref - You can use this field to store the Alternative ID for this client. This might be useful if you are moving from an existing system which has a different ID for this client. No unique checking of this field is done, so please allocated carefully.
- Status - You can set to Active for current clients or Archived for non-active clients.
1.3. Additional Information
Key fields to note are
- Print Multiple O/S Jobs on Single Invoice - If ticked will print all outstanding jobs/invoices in the system onto one invoice.
- Source - You can use this field to track the source of the client. Useful to monitor the effectiveness of a recruitment campaign. The options in the source drop down can be updated via Tools -> System Parameters (Filter by Code 7).
- Sector / Sub Sector - Use to help segment your customer base. The options in the sector and sub-sector drop down can be updated via Tools -> System Parameters (Filter by Code 4 for sector and Code 5 for sub-sector)
- Sales Person - You can use this to track the allocated sales person for this client. The list of names in the drop is a list of users entered into the system
- Currency - If you are trading in multiple currencies, you can set the default currency for this client when adding quotations, jobs and invoices. The list of currencies in the drop can updated via Tools -> System Parameters (Filter by Code 47)
- Language - If you are trading in multiple countries and languages you can set the default language for this client when printing quotations and invoices. The list of languages in the drop can updated via Tools -> System Parameters (Filter by Code 48).
- Template Type- This field sets the template to use for this client when printing quotations and invoices. Please ensure that you have created a quotations/invoice template for each template that you use. The name of the template files should be as follows
Insight Invoice Template x.repx
Insight Quotation Template x.repx
Insight Email Footer Template x.rtf
where x is the template type that you specify on this form.
Eg. If the Template is set to "1", then you must have a invoice template in the folder named "Insight Invoice Template 1.repx"
1.4. Billing Contact
If you're using Insight to generate invoices, please provide the billing contact. If this is department rather than an individual (e.g. Accounts Payable), the please provide the name department name the department field and the individuals names in the forename and surname fields. If you don't have a named individual, then please provide something suitable such as "Payments Clerk"
If you want to email the generated invoices automatically please ensure that you have entered the email address for the billing contact.
Please note that the billing contact will not appear in the drop down lists for Job contacts. The Billing Contact is only used for invoice generation purposes.
1.4. Other Contacts
Use this area to manage other clients contacts. Can be useful if you receive jobs from multiple people at a company and want to track where they're coming from.
Please note that the only the other contacts will appear in the drop down lists for Job contacts.
2. Payment Terms
If you are using Insight to create your invoices then this is printed on the invoice and also used to determine when an invoice becomes overdue.
You can set an invoice to become overdue at
- x days after the Invoice Date. In the example below it is set to become overdue 30 days after the invoice date
- x days after a "weekly recurrence" . This can be useful if you have agreed payment terms with a client where they settle their invoices on a weekly basis. When a invoice is generated the payment terms will be calculated automatically based on the setting here
In the example below you are giving the client 30 days after the next Friday to settle their invoice.
- x days after a "monthly occurrence" - This can be useful if you have agreed payment terms with a client where they settle their invoices on a monthly basis. When a invoice is generated the payment terms will be calculated automatically based on the setting here
In the example below you are giving the client 30 days from the next 26th to settle their invoice.
3. Delivery Address
If you are providing a service or products to an address different to the main/billing address please provide here. There is no limit to the number of delivery addresses you can add
If there are special instructions, notes or comments (eg. Access Instructions) regarding this address you can add them in the delivery address notes section
When you create a new job/invoice for a client, a section is created for each delivery address. If you do not have a delivery address added, then first (and only) section created is named after the street name of the client's address.
You can delete an address from the job/invoice if it is not required by clicking the x.
This tab lists all the outstanding tasks for the selected customer.
Double click a task to update it.
This tab lists all the products that are 'linked' to the client. You can associate a product to this client by dragging the required product from the products tab on the product table.
The product will be added with the standard price. You can choose to vary the price of this product for this client. You can also set default quantity to add automatically to an invoice and whether the product should be chargeable when adding to an invoice.
A product will automatically linked if the customer has previously been invoiced for a product.
This tab lists the contracts for the selected customer.
Double click a contract to update it.
This tab lists the quotations for the selected customer.
Double click a quotation to update it.
8. Customer Service
This tab lists the customer service calls for the selected customer.
Double click a customer service record to update it.